What Does Normal A1c and High Blood Sugar mean?
10 causes of Normal A1c and High Blood Sugar in the blood test results.
In this short publication we will try to unclear the wrong information about Hb A1c test results.
We must remove misconceptions about Hemoglobin A1c test with other blood sugar tests.
First: In the previous topics we learned about:
What is the meaning of the word hemoglobin A1C?
It aims to introduce you in the meaning of the letters “A1C” and why this name is set for this test.
Read the full article at: What Does A1c Stand For?
- A1c is a test used for measuring the average blood sugar levels over the preceding 2-3 months, while fasting and after meal sugar testing are tests for daily glucose levels.
- Normal A1c means good diabetes control over months while normal blood sugar levels means you have good sugar control this day.
Whatever you’re type 1 or 2,
Normal hemoglobin “Hgb” A1c and high blood sugar means one or all of these:
- Your overall blood sugar past 3 months is within the goal level but the day of testing fasting blood sugar you have something wrong including you forgot your pills or taken a high-sugar meal before the fasting sugar test.
- New to pre-diabetes, so that your A1c is still at baseline while sugar level at the same day is elevated.
- Frequent illness “like a stroke or heart attack” can lead to temporary elevated blood sugar levels.
- At times of stress; it induce the release of cortisol and adrenaline to increases the availability of glucose to repair tissues at the stressful time.
- You may have taken medications such as beta blockers, epinephrine, or thiazide diuretics prior to testing, which lead to high fasting blood glucose but normal A1c results.
- You may be on corticosteroids, niacin, pentamidine, protease inhibitors or any antipsychotics.
- Amphetamine “one of the illegal drugs” can cause Urine Sugar Levels to increase.
- If you have one of the double action anti-depressants such as Zyprexa and Cymbalta, therefore you may experience hyperglycemia but normal hemoglobin A1c.
- Active blood infection “sepsis” often come with hyperglycemia without increase in HbA1c results.
High blood sugar in urine but normal A1c
Gestational diabetes during pregnancy is the commonest reason, as the pregnant may see glucosuria but there’s no hyperglycemia.
How to know if high sugar is due to Stress or from Type 2 DM?
If you’re experiencing such early signs and symptoms:
- Increased thirst
- Increased urination
- Blurred vision
or feeling some of these later signs/symptoms:
- Fruity-smelling breath
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Rapid breathing.
Normal Ranges of Glucose for Non-diabetes:
- 4.0 to 6.0 mmol/L (72 to 108mg/dL) when fasting.
- Up to 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) 2 hours after eating.
See full Glucose Levels Chart
Ongoing high blood sugar can damage your nerves and vessels as well as inflame your kidney’s tissues.
People with type 1 diabetes are prone to ketoacidosis due to build-up of acids in the blood stream.
A1c is the most diagnostic test for ongoing diabetes and identifying the effectiveness of diabetes treatment.
If you have a question about your test results> Register Free Account Now: Answers forum
Have another question? please let’s know to help you..