Can I Drink Black Coffee Before a Fasting Blood Test
The Best Answer is No, You Can’t Drink Black Coffee or eat any food during this time Before a Fasting Blood Test, also you can’t drink hot or iced black coffee or a glass of tea, soda cans, a juice, however you can’t drink any liquid but plain water during fasting for a blood sample.
Previous topic was about, how long should you fast before blood work, don’t miss.
The reasons are concluded below…
- Cholesterol blood test will not be affected by fasting or non-fasting, this means you can drink coffee before a blood test for cholesterol.
- Triglycerides blood test: as the metabolism of triglycerides take too long to accomplished, thus you have to fast before triglycerides at least 10 hours in order to measure the majority of most triglycerides in the blood. whereas drinking a cup of coffee can alter the exact value in you blood. So that please don’t drink any coffee before triglycerides test.
- Fasting blood glucose test: require at least 6 hours of fasting before taking the sample. When you decide to take sips of black coffee, as soon as entering the stomach will change the level of insulin and cortisol hormones, which negatively affects the precision of your test. That’s why you can’t drink coffee before a blood glucose test.
Why Drinking Black Coffee Before a Fasting Blood Test is Bad?
You might think drinking coffee while fasting for a blood test is a great idea instead of eating, you may even think it’s a great way to get yourself going when fasting, but you’d be surprised to learn that drinking coffee before a fasting blood test especially your stomach is empty is considered a terrible idea.
let’s take a look at a few reasons of how does coffee affect fasting blood tests?
- Fasting cause high stomach acid then drinking coffee will cause ulcers:
stomach acid; your stomach has hydrochloric acid which at the right level helps your body digest food properly, when your stomach is empty this acid doesn’t have much to work with, so we can slosh around and hurt your stomach drinking a cup of coffee on that empty stomach.
2. Black coffee while fasting will cause high liver enzymes due to Heartburn
Adds to the problem by putting more acid in your body: always having too much stomach acid will harm your stomach and digestive tract leading to problems like heartburn, irritable bowel syndrome and stomach ulcers too.
3. Bad digestion and IBS:
Having caffeine on an empty stomach ruins digestion leading to a bloated feeling and other signs of irritable bowel syndrome like pain and irregularity.
4. coffee on empty fasting stomach will stress on your digestion and elevate fasting tests
How caffeine acts like your adrenal glands? which creates stress hormones called “cortisol and adrenaline” when these hormones flood your body they raise your heart rate and blood pressure and your liver starts letting out blood sugar to give energy to muscles, so that you can run away your digestive system.
5. Black coffee o fasting will cause abnormal serotonin and melatonin levels:
Drinking coffee will affect the level of serotonin, which in turn makes your appetite for eating less while you are still fasting.
The body is in turn producing more energy by consuming a fat called triglycerides.
So when you do a triglyceride blood test you will find a very different result from the true level in the blood.
Also shuts down to send energy to where it is needed lead to anxiety: When you go through your morning on an empty stomach you lower your brain’s power to properly breakdown serotonin,
serotonin is the happy calm hormone, when your brain is unable to break down this hormone properly it causes anxiety and depression throwing a cup of coffee on top of that empty stomach causes anxiety by boosting your body’s cortisol and adrenaline levels that will leave you feeling shaky
nervous and weak for dehydration.
Drinking coffee on an empty stomach raises the amount of fluid that your body passes, and can cause dehydration,
dehydration by reaching for another cup of coffee making things even worse for yourself for low levels of
serotonin, very few people know about this but coffee will make you feel less hungry people who drink coffee right
away in the morning sometimes end up skipping breakfast skipping your first meal of the day can ruin your body’s
power to make serotonin,
A neurotransmitter in charge of making you feel happy and calm also serotonin is very important for a good night’s sleep
your body changes serotonin into melatonin at night, low levels of melatonin usually lead to insomnia.
Problems if you like drinking coffee make sure to always have it after breakfast not on fasting to void ruin your body and lead to false blood test results.
Drinking a cup of coffee before a blood test that require to be fasting is not allowed because coffee can alter the hormonal balance of the body which lead to abnormal testing results at the end.
To know what happens if you don’t fast before a blood test, read this list of fasting blood tests.If you have a question about your test results> Register Free Account Now: Answers forum